Monday, September 30, 2013

Kupang, West Timor, Indonesia



Kupang, W. Timor, Indonesia (Saturday, August 3 to Wednesday, August 7, 2013)







Kupang is the capital city of W. Timor – it’s a busy, noisy, scruffy old city where Captain Bligh hanged out after his mutiny.  Because the Portuguese had once settled Timor, there is a Catholic presence on the island; including a university and a few churches nestled in amongst the mosques.  Despite the Catholic/Christian majority on Timor, we did hear the Muslim call to prayer five times a day (Indonesia is about 75% populated with friendly Muslims).







For us, it was mostly cruiser business stuff – like checking into the country, getting internet and phone service, provisioning up with diesel and food.  We were boarded by customs, immigration and quarantine and then went to shore to meet again with customs, immigration and quarantine - Indonesians sure like paperwork and many, many copies of all your documents!!!







Very little English is spoken in Kupang, so good to have an Indonesian phrase book handy!  Warm days and language struggles wore us down at times.  We ate out very little as other cruisers were getting sick from the food but did have two nice prawn lunches at Resto 999 on the beach near Teddy’s Bar.







It was here that we had our first experience with toilets in Indonesia – thank goodness that my 87 year old mother chose Singapore over Indonesia to visit us.  I honestly don’t know how older people or people with joint/knee problems handle these toilets buried in the ground – you must squat to use the toilets.  Aside from the toilet being on the ground, they do not flush – you must use a bucket sitting in a nearby sink filled with water to flush.  I’m still struggling with the squatting position.  If this isn’t challenging enough, keep in mind that Indonesians don’t use toilet paper.  Instead they use their left hand to wipe, really, I kid you not.  In fact, it is an insult to touch someone with your left hand.  When I was in the market, the shop keeper wanted me to taste some sugar.  At that moment, I was holding many bags with my right hand so I naturally reached over with my left hand.  The shop keeper blocked my left arm and quickly stuffed the sugar directly into my mouth as I suddenly realized what she was doing!





We attended the SAIL INDONESIA farewell ceremony and enjoyed the young dancers.  After that, we lingered a few days to get ready for our Indonesian cruising adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment